Donovan Taplin

763 action(s) taken with Donovan Taplin
Joanne Follett says:

I will donate food to a local food bank once a month.

Tracy V. says:

I pledge to continue to teach my students the importance of being global citizens, and to embrace the spirit of volunteerism. The rewards are plentiful!

Tammie Taplin says:

I pledge to donate to our local food bank once a month for the next 12 months.

Louise Taplin says:

I will conserve my energy at home.

Teresita McCarthy says:

My action is to attempt, to the best of my ability, to leave this world and my community, in particular, a better place to live for the next generation.

Pam says:

I conserve energy every day by turning off unnecessary lights and by unplugging appliances that are not in use.

Jenna Gall says:

Pledge to Protect the Poles, Protect the Planet and to be a part of inspiring other to do the same!

“I want to live in a world where people have the courage to inspire others, by telling their story.” – Donovan

Donovan TaplinDonovan is passionate about the power of stories. He has been part of both the Students on Ice Arctic and Antarctic Youth Expeditions and is a member of the Students on Ice Alumni Delegation. This group traveled to Rio de Janeiro Brazil for the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development last year. As an alumnus of Students on Ice Expeditions, he traveled to the Arctic and Antarctica to learn about the social, political, and environmental crisis experienced by these regions. He has been telling the stories of these rare adventures through public speaking engagements and numerous community projects. Locally, he founded the Green Island Society, a group which launched a presentation and essay program at the elementary school, a letter campaign, and town-wide clean-ups. He helped found Radio Bell Island Inc. where he has had the opportunity to interview notable Canadians such as Peter Mansbridge and Seamus O’Regan and invoke a stronger sense of community through radio.

Currently an undergrad student at Memorial University, Donovan has been renowned for his leadership and community contributions as a recipient of Canada’s most prestigious national scholarships for high school students, the Loran Award (declined) and the TD Canada Trust Scholarship for Community Leadership.

What inspires Donovan to take initiative is rooted in a strong belief to “think globally and act locally”. His experiences around the world have enhanced his capacity to work within his community as an agent of social change. Having traveled to the Polar Regions, the planet’s most fragile environmental areas and cornerstones of the global ecosystem, he was motivated to educate others on the importance of sustainable development. He’s inspired by the sight of collapsing glaciers, endangered penguin colonies, polar bears looking for food on rocky islands, and the thought of working to ensure sustainability for current and future generations.