Ideas For Action
Here are some possible actions you can take to help us achieve the Millenium Development Goals. Many of these were inspired by reading TakingITGlobal‘s “Millenium Development Goals Youth Action Guide“- be sure to check it out!
MDG 1: ERADICATE EXTREME POVERTY & HUNGER:
- I will only buy products produced in places with minimum wage standards that support a liveable income.
- I will buy locally produced products.
- I will support farmers internationally by calling on my government to implement policies that ensure sustainable farming and equitable food distribution.
- I will volunteer with or donate to a local food bank.
- I will volunteer with an organization that promotes increased funding to education and health, increased agricultural productivity with new techniques, improved infrastructure (such as power and water supplies, transportation, roads and schools), and human rights and sustainable development.
MDG 2: ACHIEVE UNIVERSAL PRIMARY EDUCATION:
- I will raise funds to support an organization that provides educational materials and support for disadvantaged children
- I will volunteer my time as a peer educator
- I will advocate for fewer barriers to education – like eliminating school fees and uniforms, building schools closer to housing, and increased support to families so that children can stay in school
MDG 3: PROMOTE GENDER EQUALITY AND EMPOWER WOMEN:
- I will challenge sexist stereotypes whenever I hear them to help change attitudes about women’s role in society
- I will advocate for and support more women in positions of power (like in the government or other decision-making structures)
- I will work to ensure that women’s voices and opinions are heard and respected in my community
- I will learn about the impact of violence against women and share what I learn with others
- I will let my government officials, peers and family know that I support women’s rights and freedoms
MDG 4: REDUCE CHILD MORTALITY
- I will talk to people about the importance of disease prevention through education and early treatment
- I will support an organization that provides medical support, training and services to people in rural areas worldwide
- I will volunteer my time or raise money to support an organization that improves access for women and girls worldwide to family planning services and sexual and reproductive health education.
- I will talk to my peers, family, educators and government officials about the importance of comprehensive and accessible family planning and sexual and reproductive health education and services.
MDG 5: IMPROVE MATERNAL HEALTH
- I will volunteer my time or raise money to support an organization that improves access for women and girls worldwide to comprehensive family planning services and sexual and reproductive health education.
- I will talk to my peers, family and government officials about the importance of comprehensive and accessible family planning and sexual and reproductive health education and services
- I will support an organization (by volunteering or fund raising) that works to increase the presence of midwives, doulas, or doctors at childbirths.
MDG 6: COMBAT HIV/AIDS, MALARIA AND OTHER DISEASES
- I will educate myself and my peers about how HIV/AIDS is transmitted and how it can be prevented
- I will volunteer my time or fundraise for an organization that raises awareness and provides education, diagnosis and treatment services for HIV/AIDS and other potentially deadly but preventable infections.
- I will challenge mis-information about the spread of HIV/AIDS
- I will contact my local school board to encourage they develop, adopt and deliver comprehensive education about HIV/AIDS and other potentially fatal infections.
MDG 7: ENSURE ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY
- I will only buy food that is produced using sustainable agricultural methods
- I will only eat local food for the month of February
- I will eat less meat
- I will educate myself and my peers about how far products have travelled to get to us and how that impacts the environment
- I will take public transit and carpool whenever possible to decrease fuel emissions and climate change
- I will host a screening of a documentary that addresses climate change, food security, water sanitation, industrial impacts on the environment, or species diversity and share what I learn with others
MDG 8: DEVELOP A GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP FOR DEVELOPMENT
- I will participate in or host a workshop/information session on privilege and power to raise awareness of how we are all involved in and affected by global inequality
- I will encourage my government officials to live up to their financial commitments to support overseas development projects and programs
- I will talk to someone who has volunteered or worked in the majority world about their experiences and how I can make a difference
- I will share what I hear about organizations and individuals working for global change.
The Atlantic Council for International Cooperation [(ACIC-CACI)] is a coalition of member organizations, individuals and institutions working in the Atlantic region to achieve global sustainability encompassing social justice, human dignity, a healthy environment and participation for all. For more information about ACIC visit www.acic-caci.org.
Read More »
Write: Email Us
© 2011 – present ACIC-CACI. All rights reserved.
Site Design: Calmunity Communications